January 05, 2011

Kauai Diaries

A typical shoreline in Kauai. And by typical, I mean "extraordinary."

The hurricanes of '82 and '92 liberated roosters from the farms. They now roam free, cawing at all hours, the prettiest pests you have ever seen.

The Kilauea Lighthouse, which had a nearby farmer's market that yielded a fantastic meal of roasted Opa with chives, island rainbow chard and hen-of-the-woods mushrooms sauteed with local ginger and garlic, and slices of fresh pineapple...

The incredible Napali coast! Just one of the waterfalls.

And another, nested within a shoreline cave.

One of my oldest friends, who helped me land in Hawai'i for New Year's Eve: "Eric, if only we could feature your glorious individually-toed shoes..."

"Did you really just do that?"

"Yes, you really just did that."

The beach at the St. Regis hotel in Princeville...by day.

The beach at the St. Regis...by dusk. Made the mile-and-a-half walk home worth it!

O, Kauai. May I someday return to you with a love in hand. In the meantime I am grateful, grateful, grateful.

1 comment:

Annette Gendler said...

You reminded me how breathtaking the Napali coastline is - I was lucky enough to see it twice when we visited in '05, once from the top from Waimea Canyon, and once from the sea cruising by. Enjoy the rest of your stay!