June 05, 2006

Rivalry, Schmivalry



So, today my much younger sister received a letter from Allison Joseph herself, congratulatng Christina on winning the Younkin-Rivera Prize for Young Writers. Which means $250 and full tuition to attend the Young Writers Workshop this summer at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale.

Once upon a time in the midwest, our great-grandfather was the mayor of a small Illinois town. Barely a week into his term, his youngest daughter fell down a poorly-capped dry well on the property of the new mansion they'd built for the new mayor. This, apparently, is how my mother got her name, in the child's honor. But that's another strange story, for another strange time.
Back to my sister. The Poet. The Award-winning Poet.

Things in life are stressful as all get-out right now, but I'm going to take the next 2 minutes and 29 second to grin like a fool. Begin....now!







Okay...Back to work.

1 comment:

Steven D. Schroeder said...

Congratulations to your sister! Is it weird having another poet in the family? I think I'm glad my brother and I are pursuing different arts (he's a musician).