November 25, 2009

Part 3: On Animated Poems & YouTubing

The good folks over at "Poems Out Loud" gave me a heads-up on this post, which shares my focus on setting poems to video.

They also showed me how to manually manipulate the embedding code so that a video will always fit in a blog's column. They advise to avoid using a border, and tweak the pixel count.

Here is the original code I used to embed one of the Todd Boss videos on my blog, relevant display factors in bold:

{object width="500" height="315"}{param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ckry3bZrQpw&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"}{/param}{param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"}{/param}{param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"}{/param}{embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ckry3bZrQpw&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="315"}{/embed}{/object}{br /}

The altered code, with changes is bold:

{object width="340" height="285"}{param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ckry3bZrQpw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"}{/param}{param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"}{/param}{param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"}{/param}{embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ckry3bZrQpw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"}{/embed}{/object}

...note that 1) I struck the bit of coding that added the border, and 2) I had to take the coding out of carrots--replacing throughout with brackets--so that it explicitly shows up here. If I use the proper carrots, the resulting video display looks like this:



Okay, now for a day of baser pleasures--sweet potatoes, red wine, and turkey. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, everyone!

1 comment:

Diane Lockward said...

I assume that you had to adjust the size of the video so that it would fit into your blog's space? YouTube recently widened their videos--we didn't have to make the adjustment until recently. I decided that I preferred to update my blog design to get a wider posting area. So now I can get the larger videos on. I was also influenced by Todd's article in P&W. As a result of reading that, I made my first video recording of one of my poems (blogged about this). I'm also on a Mac and use iMovie which I love. I used the built-in mic. But you can also use Quick Time. I wonder if any poets are making trailers for their books as novelists commonly do?