October 26, 2006

Down the Rabbit Hole

I won't even pretend that I have time to be posting, but a few things...

For people in the DC area--

Sunday, October 29 at 2 p.m. The Writer's Center is pleased to host a celebration of the Washington area's thriving small press community. Editors of several literary journals and book publishers will share anecdotes. The program will include writers and editors from Bogg, Dryad, Gargoyle, Gival Press, Minimus, Passager, Potomac Review, Pretend Genius, The Word Works, Washington Writers' Publishing House, and WordWrights! At the Writer's Center, 4508 Walsh Street, Bethesda, MD 20815. Free admission and light refreshments. For more information on this and other programs, please visit our web site, www.writer.org, or call 301-654-8664.

...Tragically I suspect "light refreshments" refers to lemonade and cookies, versus the scotch and mixed nuts that are the birthright of editors everywhere. But hey, if we were dealing with poetic justice this whole event would take place in a smoky bar.

Last night's reading at Kensington Row was astonishingly satisfying, in part due to the obscene amount of garlic-sauced eggplant I had at the Chinese restaurant beforehand (MSG makes the heart grow fonder)...my fellow reader Nicholas Johnson has a knack for dramatic monologues and villanelles, and at times he had the audience laughing out loud. Really a delight to meet him and hear his work. Smallish crowd but very attentive, and all the new work from Millay (which had been untested until now) seemed to go over well. Thanks to everyone who came and our host, Judy McCombs.

I stumbled across the above image today, which was used to publicize the New York run of a play called Rabbit Hole, starring Cynthia Nixon; I know it as the cover art from an issue of Rosebud published a few years ago. It was my first big, national publication and I showed it to all my (non-poet) friends, who were duly impressed by the glossy feel and the fact that Stephen King was in the same issue. I later learned the main topic of discussion among the high school crew, when I wasn't around, was "What's up with the bunny nipple?"

1 comment:

Don said...

Sandra, I'm sorry I couldn't make your reading. I'm glad it went well. I might be able to make the Writer's Center event, but I'm seeing the Decembrists that night and might be too tensed up for it.